19 November 2015

Indoor flowers in November!

I'm so pleased with my indoor plants!

These first three - the Mother In Law's Tongue, the Orchid and the Christmas Cactus, all sit on our living room window ledge.  They're obviously quite happy there - as they've all come into flower at the same time!

So here's the Mother In Law's Tongue - the flowers don't look like much, but they smell beautiful and, just a bit weirdly, drip nectar.  It's only a wonder that Jonty, who has a bed directly underneath, doesn't come away all sticky.  lol


So then there's the Orchid, which is a complete revelation as although we've had Orchids before, we've never managed to coax them to flower for a second time.  This one seems thoroughly keen on the idea!


I particularly like the patterning on this orchid's flowers.  It reminds me of an Appaloosa horse!  LOL


It makes a change to see our living room from a reverse perspective.  LOL

So last but not least, there is the Christmas Cactus.  Both the Christmas Cactus and the Orchid were bought for us by my Mum, so thanks Mum!  They brighten up the place no end.  :D


I don't ever remember - before this one, anyway - seeing a Christmas Cactus with such red leaves!  They don't fade at all during the year, it seems as though once they gain that red colour (new ones come through the standard green and go red very quickly) they keep it.  As you can see, the base of each stem is green just as normal.  I like the fact that it's a bit different.  :D


Lastly, is Spiny Norman, my sensitive plant.  I've not owned him for very long, and he's been a bit touchy to keep happy - but I think I've achieved it.  He grew three little green pompoms that I thought were probably flowers, but they didn't do anything for AGES.  Then, I drew the curtains one morning (he lives with the Aloe Veras on my bedroom window ledge) and there was this gorgeous little pink puffball!  It's not a great photograph, but hopefully you'll get the idea.  :D  Oh, and why is he called "Spiny Norman"?  It's because of his great big thorns!  A very defensive plant, this one!
 

No comments: